Background

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Love Came Down

Now that the cat is out of the bag and the whole world (or at least ALL 11 of my followers) know that I have an artificial tree....let me introduce you to him/her?

Come on in!There are so many meaningful ornaments on our tree that I really don't even consider that the tree isn't "real". It is what we place ON IT that matters. By the way, isn't that a little like our life and the way we live it? Aren't we just a shell of a being until our God-breathed spirit puts the light in our eyes?

So, I adorn my tree with....

The first shoe for each of my children. Even richer, a life-long friend shared the idea with me. Thanks, Alice. You are an adornment on my tree of life!

Then, there are the ornaments from travel destinations (the latest one is a Mickey ornament!). I am flooded with good memories when I come to these jewels...Once, I went to Las Vegas and had a chance meeting with Christopher Radko....I have several souvenirs for the tree from that encounter! Better yet, I remember my sister Kathy and my mom, who traveled with me.

There are also some sterling silver ornaments that I have collected or been given over the years -some for christenings and others for births or marriage. Many have dates on them. All represent a blessing.

I like a little whimsy...but only recently. When I was a "real tree snob", I was also a purist about my ornaments. Now, I like a little of the un-stuffy! Don't we all need a sense of humor to lighten the load?


Gosh! I almost forgot the pottery of my friend, Susan Lumpkin and her annual ornament. A reminder of a friendship and a celebration of all things Lowcountry! I am grateful to live here and for the amazing way God brought us to Pawleys Island, South Carolina!

Every year since forever, the big kids start to moan and groan after only a few minutes of decorating! They claim "there are enough ornaments on the tree already"! But I keep going...


These are just 2 of the many different styles of painted, wooden ornaments that my first mother-in-law collected for her boys when they were children. Handmade. I think of Jim every moment when I place these on my tree each year and of Nan, the young mother who planned for him to enjoy these alot longer than he did. I do, Nan, I enjoy them and dream....

Christmas.

Love. Came down.

Remember. Forgive. Heal. Cherish. Laugh. Celebrate. Adorn.

In spite of. Because of. In hope of.

That is real.

In Jesus name.

~J

4 comments:

  1. Jeanne,
    I love reading your blog. You my friend should write a book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. jeanne - your blogs are like a cup of hot tea on a chilly, rainy morning. fresh and warming to the soul! i, too, enjoy the memories and smiles that always accompany the "unboxing" of the ornaments. a special time to remember special friends and events.
    thanks for making me smile.
    anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have inspired me to trim my tree this year. I stopped doing that whe I moved here for no good reason. Thanks to you, I realize(again) that each ornament is a cherished memory of my children, my travels and my friends. I can't wait to get that big box from the attic and start trimming! Now if I could just figure out a painless way to "untrim"...

    ReplyDelete
  4. twin,
    I am inspired...thanks for sharing...how beautiful...

    ReplyDelete