Background

Sunday, November 14, 2010

10 Unexpected Things

We've all been to Disney, right? I mean, even if you have never had the opportunity to go, you probably still know that there is a castle and characters and parades and fireworks and roller coasters and animals and animation and a monorail and balloons and expensive ice cream. Yes, all that was there when we visited plus short lines, blue skies and warm temperatures. It was a great trip!


Here is the list of 10 things I didn't expect at Disney, but had the good luck to experience:

1. Halloween. A headless horseman, trick or treating trails, an eerily lit castle, costumes, glow
sticks and Cruella Deville!


Michael was supposed to be Michael Jackson for Halloween, but we forgot the "pleather" jacket and glitter glove! It was a lucky break, because Michael (Quinn) is really a pirate at heart! Plus, it seems sacrilegious to NOT be a Disney character while at Disney for Halloween!


Aaarrrhhh!

2. Character Autographs. This was easily one of the single most important aspects of Michael's trip. He was organized. He was determined. He was respectful. He bought into it! That was awesome.
3. Animal Facts. The safari at Animal Kingdom is on the top of my list. I took way too many photos of animals, but they are so beautiful and fascinating. Did you know that Pink Flamingos are pink because they eat crustaceans? The more they eat the pinker they are? Hence, the flamingos at Animal Kingdom were pale pink....I think because they don't get that many shrimp in captivity? Just a guess.

4. Ageless. Disney is ageless. As in "without age". I know that we hear that all the time, but I didn't really believe it. I mean, I thought that the adults that actually chose Disney for vacation, above all other options, were the people who had never been to the Caribbean. I'll admit to that shallow thought. Especially since I drank the kool-aid at Disney and am now a convert.



If teenage girls willingly eat Mickey-shaped waffles at 7:30 am just to see Snow White....well, I rest my case.

Alice in Wonderland was my favorite. She and the Mad-Hatter were hysterical. Seriously.

5. Boating. We went boating. They allowed Mike Quinn to boat. They must have exceptional liability insurance.
There was also a water slide, karaoke, treasure hunts, bottomless soda cups, ping-pong, and ....a USA Today delivered daily. I like the crossword in that newspaper. Just saying.

6. Photos. There were many photos taken. By me. Trust my overloaded hard-drive. There were also the ever professional Disney Photo Express photographers with their ever present photo cards. AND Martha's exceptionally cooperative and photographically gifted friend, Sterling. But the reason "photos" makes the 10 List is because Disney put my daughter, Martha, in such good humor that I actually was allowed to take a picture of her. Oh, my!


7. Winnie-the-Pooh. Maybe I should be embarrassed, but I didn't realize that WTP was a Disney character. I have been asleep. Or something. Did A.A. Milne know Walt? Did they have a gentleman's agreement? I'm good with it. I like Tigger.


8. Down Time. We needed more of it. 'Nuf said.



9. Imagination is Contagious. I believe this is my favorite of all the unexpected things. Michael was content in the room. He was content in restaurants. He was content on the monorail and bus rides. Why? His imagination was sparked. He had his action figures and little "stuff".



Even acorns sparked his imagination. I am impressed. And a little love-blind.

10. Going Back! I am. There ain't no picture for this one. This statement is a testimonial to the large amount of fun we had. It was my 5th trip. I don't care. It was the best. I may NOT be able to go through the Peter Pan ride again. Well....hold that thought.

Make memories. However you can. But I recommend Disney. Even with $4 ice cream.

~J

No comments:

Post a Comment