Background

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Half Full



A note about blogging. It is a public journal. For me, it is a fun way to examine, report and preserve the daily blessings of my life. Not just one, but several, of my friends, after having read my posts, commented that it seemed a little one sided....maybe a little "rose-colored"? YES! Exactly! I want to take time, hopefully everyday, to look at the good stuff in my life. I am writing about what makes my glass "half full". Sure, if you must know, there are worries, disappointments, failures, loss, extra pounds, lies, demands, illness, depressions and mistakes wedged in and around every word that is printed in this public domain - but I have no intention of giving it any press time! I think for most of us, it is a constant battle trying to keep our human nature from tying up our Christian spirit and holding it hostage! So, if you want to know the dirt that does exist in my temporal life - come steal my book of PRIVATE musings and weep away....but this spot is for joys and jubilation! And soooooo, today was Youth Sunday at Pawleys Island Presbyterian Church! My daughter, Carol Anne, and 3 other high school seniors were honored by their church family. Also, it is tradition that they preach the sermon....their theme was "perseverance" and they each did a fantastic job. I am very proud of their accomplishments both at school and church. Carol Anne is a beautiful, young woman with a tender heart and a deep understanding of what it is like to persevere through trials and tribulation and she eloquently shared her faith experience from the pulpit today. Thank you, Lord, for giving me the honor of raising her....it makes all the hard stuff seem insignificant when you look at it that way - that is the "half full" doctrine!
Pastor Rhett and Pastor Frank were kinda proud too! Finally, no church function would be complete without a dessert table like this:
I think my final words should be from the lyrics of today's Hymn of Preparation, because this verse adequately explains both my "half-full" doctrine and the spirit of today's service at PIPC:
"As we gaze on Your kingly brightness So our faces display your likeness, Ever changing from glory to glory; Mirrored here, may our lives tell Your story; Shine on me, Shine on me. Shine Jesus shine, fill this land with the Father's glory. Blaze Spirit blaze, set our hearts on fire."

Cheers to "half full"! ~J

PS Thanks, Jenny, for knowing about the emptiness and loving me anyway!

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree! I know there will be a day when I will just get frustrated and write a "rant" post. But for the most part i just want to keep a journal of the wonderful things in my life. I thought of a quote from an awesome book I wrote about when i read your post.
    "Joy is not the absence of trouble, but the presence of Christ." We all still have troubles but it is important, for me at least, to remember that Jesus is there to show us how to overcome those troubles and give us joy! Anyway! Sorry this is such a long comment, your post just really made me think!!!

    ReplyDelete