Background

Friday, May 28, 2010

Fruits



In the last days of my father's life, he seemed particularly concerned about being forgotten...the human mind is a mystery, and there were a lot of medications involved, but still - he wanted us to remember him. So, on the white board in his room, we wrote "A tree is know by its fruit". Indeed, my father was a fruitful man in many ways - but what came to my mind were his children. I will continue to lead my life in a way that honors him - the values he instilled in me, the trust he placed in me and the faith he had in me. Oh, and the pride he had in me and my children. Because he was such a good example, I have tried to graft those same values and expectations into my own "fruits". He lives on!!

And so, today, my daughter, Carol Anne is graduating from high school. I am very proud of her for her many accomplishments - the "things" she has achieved, awards, recognitions - but I am especially proud of her soul. She has been steadfast, trustworthy, brave, loyal and well....good. Not perfect, but good. She has always had a big heart, never been mean-spirited, and gosh, I love her. She is bossy. She is dramatic. She is stubborn. She is smart. She is caring. She is giving. She is my fruit and I am ever grateful for the blessing of being her mother.

The love of a parent is a sacrificial love - I have lost parts of "me" in the loving and caring of Carol Anne - but what I have gained is immeasurably better. We are defined by those who love us, and I am blessed to be Lanier's daughter and Carol Anne's mother.

Carol Anne, while you will be leaving me, our home, our daily lives, you are forever in my heart and always my daughter. Thank you.

~Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment