Background

Friday, January 7, 2011

Mighty, Like a Rose

Sunday is my mother's 80th birthday.

Isn't she beautiful?

I have been blessed with a good mother.

Her name is Marianne, and this is what she taught me:

Rely on your faith.

This bugged me when I was younger. Imagine going to your mother with a problem that seems insurmountable - the most important thing EVER....a boyfriend, college choice, career decision....and she says, "Pray about it. God will handle it. Trust." The end.

Sigh.

I didn't get it for quite a while.

But now I do.

Thank you, Mom. For teaching me, no, for showing me by your own example, how to live a life of faith and trust in the Lord.

In my "ripe old age", I can understand your quiet strength and where it comes from.

This is #1 for a reason.

It is the greatest gift she ever gave me. It has saved me. Literally.

It doesn't matter what you have, but who you ARE, that matters.

Snobs and climbers and toppers and all those "sorts" are silly and misdirected and shouldn't be taken seriously. It isn't what you wear, drive, join or marry that makes you happy. What makes you happy is being "real" and content with who God made you to be. (See #1)



Don't be self-centered.

She has told me this a lot. In fact, I am ashamed of how many times she has said this to me. But listen people....DON'T BE SELF-CENTERED. My mama is right. It makes you unhappy. It makes other people unhappy. Just do the right thing. God has everything under control. (See #1)

Watch movies that make you happy. Sad/violent/scary movies are disturbing, and who needs to be sad/scared?

I am a believer. And really, shouldn't you be, too? We like the movies where people sing a lot. I like singing. It is better than crying or screaming.


Give other people lots of second chances. They probably need the second chance more than you need to be right.

Huge. This is huge. The stronger person builds the bridge. My mother is the Golden Gate. I used to think it was weakness but now, oh now, I see it as amazing grace (See #1). And a really cool bridge. Am I losing you? I get kinda misty and philosophic when it comes to my mother....



There is always room for one more at the dinner table.

Not everybody knows how to make biscuits or cornbread from scratch. Food can be stretched further than you realize when a friend needs a place to eat.

This probably has you confused, but my mother understands....



Say "I love you".

A thousand times. I love you, too, Mama.



Know the names of flowers, plant them, pick them, arrange them in a vase.

Eat your hot dog with chili and onions, never turn down dessert, have breakfast for dinner, sing lullabies to your baby, use your imagination, learn to play bridge, relish a good book, do the daily crossword, drink your coffee black, never complain.....


Don't talk about yourself too much.



I have a hard time with this one, obviously. But I am working on it, Mom.

Listen, folks, I could go on forever. I could write a book about what my mother has taught me. She didn't always "instruct" me in ways that other mothers "instruct" their daughters. We didn't talk about the things I talk to my daughters about. She didn't really discuss superficial things like proper attire and hygiene and fashion and gossip (my mother doesn't gossip - tell her your secrets). She doesn't complain. EVER.

What she did/does is deflect painful things and collect beautiful things....all the while praying and staying close to the ONE who planted her here in the first place.

When I grow up, I hope I am just like her. Hmmmmm.

Mama, you are mighty, like a rose. I love you. Happy Birthday.

Love,
Jeanne Bug

No comments:

Post a Comment