Background

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Juxtapostioning

Juxtaposition.

This word just rolls off my tongue.

This morning, it appeared in a little bubble above my head.

"POP"

I was sitting in the shower.

Yes, sitting.

That is what I do when every muscle in my body is sore from DAY ONE: BACK AT THE GYM.

I was there, sitting in the shower, for at least 30 minutes.

For the first 29 minutes, I was in a zombie, trance-like state.

For the last minute, I was pondering juxtaposition.

Why?

Because my life is composed of contrasts.

And I like the word juxtaposition better than contrast.

I get a good visual (i.e. bubble in my head) from this word and please don't correct my incorrect assumptions about this word and "burst my bubble"! OK? OK.

A prime example of this juxta-situation (accept it now - I am making up words) would be my children.

Rob and Carol Anne.

Wait. Wrong photo.

Rob and Carol Anne.


Ahh. Yes, them!

They are awesome, wonderful, delightful. I love having them home.

But.

They cook food at 1 am.

I go to bed. My kitchen is clean. I wake up. My kitchen smells of brownies or pasta alfredo or frozen pizza and there are pots and pans in the sink. I find dirty dishes and empty glassses in their room. Only....

I don't find them until 3:00 pm when these people wake up.

Of course they were hungry after bowling until midnight-thirty.

Did I mention that some of us are "back in school" and wake up before day break? That a 7 year old has a hard time with labeling poly grams and putting vocabulary words in alphabetical order when there are 10 teenagers playing Wii in the next room? That an "old" mother needs regular sleep, especially after her deltoids/triceps/glutes/abs were exercised and the act of putting her head on the pillow is painful?

At night, as I toss and turn and wait for them to come home safely....I plot my revenge.

Juxta-pain. Juxta-confusion. Juxta-life.

I wake up. They sleep. I leave. I get home.They get up. They leave. They come home. I go to bed. They leave. They come home. They go to bed. I wake up. I wake up tired.

Michael has a 3-D project due.

Michael needs a bagel with cream cheese and his vitamin and some spit on his wacky hair and a lunch packed.

The dogs are hungry, too.

Thank goodness Martha can tie her own shoes and considers a Diet Mountain Dew a healthy breakfast. Thank goodness she has after-school activities until dark.

Juxtaposition.

I like it.

Somehow, it helps put things in perspective for me.

I am going to miss the chaos. I am going to miss how happy they are to eat my food (Rob) and wear my clothes (Carol Anne), and how willing they are to play Word Pirate with Michael every night and that they will run any mundane errand for me as long as they can drive my car and use my debit card. I am going to miss the extra hugs and the time spent telling stories and laughing. I like their company.

Drive safely. Call home. Go to church. Get some exercise. Eat right. Study. Change your sheets. Make your bed. Sometimes. Make friends. Get a part-time job. Lock your doors. Call home. Come home. I love you.

Juxta-wee-bit-melancholy.

Juxta-Jeanne.

Thank you, Lord.

~J

No comments:

Post a Comment