Background

Monday, October 10, 2011

Falling for Fall!

Just this evening...

Martha: "Our house looks like Fall just 'threw up' everywhere"....

Martha (my ex-daughter) doesn't seem to understand that I LOVE Fall. It is "my" season. I prefer to decorate with autumn leaves and acorns rather than balsam and tinsel. Twigs! Pinecones! Scarecrows! Oh, my!

I don't know if it is because I was born in Fall, or because I have raised 4 children and Fall is the season when they all go back to school...but it is perfection.

Maybe it is because Fall means pumpkins, pot roast, wood smoke, decaying leaves, pansies, pasta and homecoming parades.





 Oh, and candy. Halloween candy. And for me - birthday cake!

I don't want to forget to mention that Fall is also the season of COMPETITION CHEERLEADING.

I will be getting my "Cheer Mom" on for the next 6 weeks. Every weekend. For the next 6 weeks. Did I mention it will be every weekend? For 6 weeks? I thought so.

I am dedicating the next few blogs to my season. I don't know if I can properly photograph an October sky - but there is nothing more beautiful.

For much of the last decade, I thought I had lost the love of Fall forever. After Jim died, I became incredibly melancholy every year when the air turned cooler and the leaves changed color. A sense of loss permeated my thoughts and jiggled my memories. But more recently, the melancholy shifted to profound acceptance and a deeper appreciation for the gift of life, the changing of seasons and the pleasures of deeply inhaling cooler, crisper air!

Plus, the special foods we eat and pumpkins. Football. Turkey. Dressing. Gun fire in my back yard. Mums. Thankfulness. Orange (no not Clemson orange - just orange). Fire pits. No gnats. Red wine. Fall Break. Cardigans. Cowboy boots.

Add some of your own to the list....I am just getting started!

~J

No comments:

Post a Comment