Background

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Oh, Baby!

My baby-sitter had a baby.

The only thing that could disrupt the time/space continuum more, would be my baby having a baby. I don't know what that feels like, because I haven't experienced that one yet...but my baby-sitter, having her own baby, definitely sent a little ripple through my soul.

I was just getting over the fact that I am not 25 years old anymore.

Yes, it took me 25 years to realize I wasn't 25 years old anymore.

Anybody with me on that one?

Back to my baby-sitter....well, she WAS my baby-sitter. Now she loves another.

When I was a "young" mother, finding a baby-sitter was like striking gold. The state of my social life was in direct correlation to whether or not I could find a baby-sitter. Mothers never shared and there were definite rules among friends about "borrowing" a babysitter - basically, you could call on a friend's baby-sitter for emergencies only and just once and then you sent your friend flowers or something.

As an "older" mother, finding a baby-sitter was a little different. Easier. My peers' children were generally old enough to be qualified for the job and since my friends were no longer in the baby business, they were happy to share....free and clear.

Along came Callie.

Callie is an official member of my family. Forever.

And not just because she saved me from insanity and took my squalling baby and loved him as her own and let me drink beer in the Bahamas, either.


Well, maybe just a little.

Not really.

The part about her loving him as her own is true.

The part about beer in the Bahamas isn't true.

It was a Pina Colada - with a floater of Grand Marnier.

ANYWAY. I love Callie. Mike loves Callie. Michael loves Callie.

Michael calls her Cal-Cal.

Callie would hold him for hours. Literally. As in 5 hours straight. So he wouldn't cry, or wake up, or get cold or need anything.

And I could go....away. For 5 hours. Without holding him.

Can you see the perfection in this scenario?

By the way, I couldn't find any photographs of Callie holding Michael as a tiny baby. Although, she did, as I mentioned before. She did ALOT. My theory is that I was running out the door so fast and was too afraid to take an extra minute to snap a photo. They were desperate times!

Then, as the years rolled by, Callie did what most amazing, beautiful young women do....she went off to college and fell for another, more age appropriate male and married him.

Sigh.

Michael was the ring-bearer.


He wasn't dialed in to the fact that Cal-Cal had chosen another.

It was only going to get worse.

My baby-sitter had a baby.

Now, Callie is mom to Jack. And Jack is precious.


The only thing that rubs me a little is that my younger friend, Callie's mother, is a grandmother and I am NOT ready to have friends that are grandmothers. Especially younger friends. I am using the word young a lot in this blog.

I think I am running low on Retinol.

And my baby-sitter had a baby.

~J

No comments:

Post a Comment