Background

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Gift of the Unexpected

Today was THE DAY.

It was THE DAY to get those cards in the mail (check).

It was THE DAY to get the ingredients for the gingerbread house (check).

It was THE DAY to make chili and cornbread for dinner (check).

It was THE DAY to taste test the Gingerbread cocktail as mentioned in a previous post (check).

It was also THE DAY for the unexpected.....(check).

I didn't expect that two college kids at home for the holidays equals ten college kids at my house within 12 hours....
But it was so good to see them....

I didn't expect that Carol Anne would make "puppy chow" (rice chex, peanut butter, chocolate chips, powdered sugar) and that she and her friends would drink all the soda from the extra fridge and bring merriment and mischief into the homestead. They all wanted to hug me - goodness what a compliment!

Anyway, just as I was getting back into my "as planned" agenda for THE DAY, Martha arrived home with my pretty-much-adopted-daughter, Kate. They were headed to the Varsity Cheerleading Christmas party and Secret Santa gift exchange. They were so spirited and generally happy that they let me take an actual photo....as you will recall, Martha doesn't allow photos. I didn't expect that!


Purty, huh?

So, after the house was cleared of the extra cast and crew and the chili/cornbread supper was served and kitchen was clean.....whew! I needed to step right into that Gingerbread cocktail!

Gingerbread is intriguing.

Ginger root is so ugly and yet it smells so yummy! I love it in Pioneer Woman's Beef With Snow Peas. And I was anticipating another love relationship with the cocktail....

But there ain't no love.

I didn't expect that.

This drink had so much going for it (in addition to the ever intriguing ginger root)....espresso and Kahlua....chocolate liqueur.... and cinnamon.

It is too sweet. It is too....espresso-y.

It lingered on my kitchen counter, untouched, for an hour or so. I was avoiding it. Michael mistook it for my "usual" - diet coke. What a face he made after the big sip he took! I didn't have my camera ready for that unexpected, hilarious expression! Darn it! But take it from Michael...don't bother with this recipe. Sorry, Giada.

There is more ginger in my future, though. Tomorrow, we begin making the gingerbread house! Last year's was such a hit that we have made it a tradition.


This was our Southern Plantation from 2009.

We will be attempting a Victorian for 2010.

Stay tuned.....

It was THE DAY. It was THE DAY the Lord made....and He always likes to keep things interesting. I think He likes to remind me that I can make all the list and plans I want, but HE is in charge of the actual agenda. I didn't know I would be enjoying puppy chow and abundant hugs and that my toes would curl up from sipping liquid gingerbread!

I hope that today was THE DAY for you, too! And tomorrow as well....Expect the unexpected!

Rejoice and be glad in it!

~J




No comments:

Post a Comment