Background

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Mop Handle Musings

I love that I am still learning about myself.

It would be so boring to occupy this body/mind, day after day, and already know everything there is to know about it.

Recently, I went to the hardware store to purchase a newer, better kitchen mop. I chose the hardware store over and above Walmart or something because I believed there would be a better selection of mops to choose from. I stood in front of the dozen or more mop choices for 30 minutes.

Cotton? Poly?

16" or 18" or 24"?

Twist mop?

And the mop handle...how long? Plastic clamp at the end or metal?

Some of them looked sturdier than others. Some were "lint free" and others were labeled "big, thirsty".

I really gave this mopping issue some thought.

I made the decision. And then I needed a new bucket. They were on another aisle.

I was super focused. Doing the right thing by my mop.

There were a lot of bucket choices, too.

Dang! Buckets are expensive. I really wanted the one that wrings out your 18", all cotton mop head, for you. It was $69. Instead, I wisely chose a different one.

Mission accomplished, 45 minutes later, bucket and mop head and mop handle in hand (plus a some de-greaser, granite cleaner and other extras), I turn to walk to the check out counter.....

And the back end of the long mop handle rips across the shelf and about 50 stocked items crash to the floor.

I turned to see the disaster....

And the mop handle takes another 50 stocked items off the other shelf....

I look around, thinking I am being filmed for America's Funniest Home Videos.


No such luck. No camera. Just me and a mess.

So this is my latest "I am still learning about me" lesson:

I try really hard at life. I am focused, goal-oriented, thoughtful and motivated.

But even when I am productively making headway, I am inadvertently knocking a whole bunch of other stuff off the shelf. Mainly because I am TOO focused on the finish line and not paying attention my surroundings.

Yes?

Yes!

It is the circle of life. Or the circus of life. Or the (short) circuits of life.

My motives are good, people.

The results don't always reflect my good motives, but that is why I need grace. And mercy.

Please accept my humble apologies if you have ever been in the wake of my mop handle.

I may never change. I may write this chapter and continue on in my overly focused, blindly ambitious manner but I am going to try and slow down and notice my surroundings a little more.


Which ain't so bad, you know?!


Have a good weekend!

~J

2 comments:

  1. What an apt analogy, you are a gifted writer. I know that I too have done some damage with my "mop handle".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeanne, thank you again for sharing!! It always brings me a smile to read you blog. You have a great weekend as well!

    ReplyDelete