Background

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Ode to a Seven Year Old

It is no secret that I am in love.

I am in love with his blue eyes and his sour breath.

I am love with his view of the world, his innocence, his loose front teeth and the way he can't remember time sequence.

"Is it tomorrow or the other tomorrow?"

"Is June the summer?"

"Do I have extra time?"

"Is it bednight?"

I am so in love with him, it actually hurts.

And I don't care who knows it.

Tonight, we read Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel. Remember this book?
It was published in 1939. My mother read it to me when I was a child. I have read it to all my children.

Rob really liked it because he was fascinated with construction equipment.

Gush. I am in love with Rob, too. But he has whiskers and high cholesterol and it would be considered inappropriate for me to say too much more....

Michael, on the other hand, still fits in the curve of my lap. He thinks (no he understands) that I run the universe. And he is still so freshly placed upon this earth that he can accept what is true without question.



Michael says, "Worry about nothing, pray about everything".

"Jesus loves all of us".

I am so grateful that I am an old mom.

Peter Pan, Power Rangers, Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny....I've got them all! And we all know that it doesn't last forever.

Each day, I see the world through the eyes of my sweet boy. He reminds me of the important stuff.

God, goodness, wonder and sweaty feet!

If you want a thrill, pick up Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel. Find a chair. Sit and read it, again.

Mike Mulligan and Mary Ann are still heating the City Hall of "Popperville".

Together.

Sigh.

~J

No comments:

Post a Comment