Background

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Desktop Discoveries

We have a dinosaur-ish desktop computer in our kitchen/den. I use it on rare occasions when I need to see the school lunch menu or check the weather. Michael uses it to play Webkinz, hangman and to access iTunes (when he really wants to annoy me). Mike uses it to hunt and peck his way through a grad school paper. Most of us have our own lap top computer. So, the poor, oddly large and kind of loud, desktop machine is just....there.

Curiosity got the best of me this morning and I looked inside the old bugger to see what I could find....

1. Doodles. Really GOOD doodles.


Carol Anne, daughter #1 and one of the "big kids", used to doodle. A lot. Her doodles are really cool and she designed T-shirts for lots of folks back in the high school days. She still says things like, "Can I have that empty mayonnaise jar because I could decorate it and use it for something?"! She hasn't been doodling lately, though. And frankly, I am relieved that she forgot about the mayonnaise jar. It is in the recycling bin where it should rightfully be! However, if you know of a way to make a million dollars by doodling and decorating mayonnaise jars - I have got your girl!

2. Several files of photos with the label "Oldies".

This is "the doodler" back in the day so long ago that this photo belongs in the "oldies" folder...

And this one....this is my daddy....I think I have already posted this one, but seeing how he left this earth 2 years ago this week and seeing how I will never get over it....

Sigh.

3. I found a Power Point Presentation....never seen before by yours truly. It was tucked away in the document folder and the title caught my eye. "Why Daughters Need Their Mothers". It was a photo essay of sorts, a slide show, with photographs and subtitles. I can't figure out how to embed the slide show into this post. It isn't in my skill set along with scanning things into PDF format and placing them in zip files....

But it went something like this:

"To support them when they want to braid their hair for the 100th time"
" To make sure they don't wear the same sweatshirt everyday"
"To take them cool places"
"To teach them to love each other"
"To cheer them on in whatever they do"
"To teach them how to enjoy life"
"To tell them they are special"
"To laugh at them with their creepy boy obsessions. Mostly Martha"
"To hope they find cool friends like yours"
"To tell them to stay close to their family"
"Teach them to love God (send them to Jesus camps)"

I can't figure out which daughter authored this, but she is now my favorite child.

So, the ice-age era desktop is more like a dust collecting time capsule. I am never throwing it away. I recently acquired a DROPBOX. All one word. It cost money. But whenever I save something on my computer, it goes into my DROPBOX. I imagine this DROPBOX is up in heaven. When I get there, all my cool stuff will automatically be in the DROPBOX. In PDF format, in zip files, embedded......just in case I have to bury the dinosaur at sea. My memories and treasures are safe.

Amen!

~J

No comments:

Post a Comment