Background

Friday, December 24, 2010

Where's Waldo?

Last year, when my oldest daughter was just days short of her high school graduation, I got my feelings hurt.

See, it is a tradition here for high school Seniors to place an ad in the back of their yearbook. It is mostly photos, sometimes there is copy and the size can range from 1/4 of a page to a whole page ad.

Initially, I wanted to surprise her and pick the photos and write some sweet message to her about how beautiful she is and how proud we are of her....but, she wasn't good with that. My choice of photos was questionable and then she was actually on the yearbook staff and I couldn't pull off the surprise part anyway. Sooooo, she composed her own ad. I originally paid for a 1/2 page, but she frantically called me from school one day to say that she couldn't possibly fit all her friends and family on 1/2 of a page....I paid up.

Now, this is where the hurt feelings come in.

When the yearbook was published and she brought it home, I immediately turned to see the ad, and.....where's mommy? Wait. Is that me? The smallest photo in the whole lot? Not even an individual, but a group shot? The size of the head of a pin? Me? The woman who made this life happen? The center of the home, the hub of the wheel, the wiper of tears, the one who pays for the "cut and color"?

Nada. It was like the "Where's Waldo" photos, only worse.

Somehow, when I opened my eyes this Christmas Eve morning, I was remembering this silly thing.....and then I opened my eyes a little wider.

In the collage of my Christmas Activity for 2010, where is the photo of my LORD? You know Him, right? The "reason for the season"?

What is He thinking of me? Have I overlooked Him? Is He too small a part of my Christmas? Is he like a "Where's Waldo" game?

Let's see.

I have decorated.
I have baked - oh, sugar, have I baked!



I have participated in gathering with friends,

and carrying on traditions.



I sent out cards, blogged, made hot cocoa, pickled shrimp, potatoes au gratin....
And...by the way....I didn't kill the poinsettia.



But have I given proper focus to the Creator and Author of Christmas? The ONE WHO GAVE HIS LIFE FOR ME?

How big has HIS picture been in my ad?

How about you?

Have you ever given your child a Christmas gift and they seemed ungrateful or actually appeared to not appreciate it? Doesn't that hurt? Have I rejected Him again?

I challenge us all to not treat Jesus Christ like Waldo this year....it isn't too late for any of us.

We can forgive somebody. That would be a nice gift for Jesus.

We could lend a hand to someone that needs it. That would be a nice gift for Jesus.

We could treat all people (especially the difficult ones) with love and respect. That would be a nice gift for Jesus.

Give to the poor, comfort the sick, shake hands, drive slow, breathe deeply, count your blessings, attend church, read scripture, give hugs, befriend the lonely, remain hopeful, spread the news....

"In all your ways, submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight". Proverbs 3:6

Where's Jesus? Place Him at the center of your Christmas collage.

Merry Christmas, everybody.

~J

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this. I love you, I love Jesus, and today, I even love Waldo! Merry CHRISTmas!

    ReplyDelete